“Connecting the curious across the county”
March 29, 2019
Good Friday afternoon. Say hello to spring, with mostly sunny skies and a high of 74 degrees. There’s a 10% chance of rain, and humidity is at 46%.
How Siler City Elementary helps Lantino parents connect with their children
- Children deserve explanations. Saying “because I said so” doesn’t help them understand why boundaries are being set.
- Using eye contact will influence children to be more receptive. If parents yell from across the house, the message won’t be perceived as important.
- Parents should use quality time as an incentive for good behavior. Screen time doesn’t encourage an open environment for communication.
- Siler City Elementary’s student population is over 62 percent Latino, according to school records.
- Last October, ESL teacher Alirio Estevez spearheaded the initiation of the Latino Parents School, a program designed to inform parents about the N.C. school system and equip them with tools to help their children succeed.
- A study published by the University of Texas at Austin found that Latino children are at significantly higher risk of depression and anxiety because of parenting styles frequently found in their households. Camareno’s visit provided techniques to combat these findings.
What’s on our radar…
- Keep an eye out for next week’s story — it’s the one you all voted for! Asked by Mary Ann Woehrel, our next story will answer the question: “What is the county doing to stop the silt pollution coming from the construction on 15/501 next to Fearrington Village?”
Public meetings to watch…
- Siler City’s Board of Commissioners meets on Monday, April 1, at 7 p.m. in the Siler City Town Hall Courtroom
- The Chatham County Planning Board meets on Tuesday, April 2, at 6:30 p.m. in the Agriculture Building at 65 E. Chatham Street in Pittsboro
Have more questions about Chatham County schools? We base our journalism on reader questions, so send them our way if you would like to inspire further reporting!
We want to know what you like and/or dislike about this newsletter. Is there anything you wish we would add to the newsletter? Let us know by shooting an email our way at email@example.com.
This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this? unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences
Reese News Lab · 11 Carroll Hall · Campus Box 3365 · Chapel Hill, NC 27599-0001 · USA