“Connecting the curious across the county”
April 12, 2019
Good Friday afternoon. Looks like another weekend of thunderstorms. Bust out your umbrellas, folks. ☂️⛈
How Siler City’s Hispanic community found homes for 28 displaced families
When a million-dollar company tried to push 28 families out of their homes, Siler City nonprofit El Vínculo Hispano gave them the fuel to push back instead of sitting down.
Wait, what company?
Alright. How’d it all go down?
- Mountaire sent eviction notices to the residents of the mobile home park, stating that they had to evacuate the property.
- Johnson’s was home to 62 adults and 53 children.
- El Vínculo Hispano stepped in to help the residents of this majority Hispanic community and worked to find new homes for all the evacuees.
- After families notified El Vínculo Hispano about the eviction notices, the organization scheduled meetings to inform residents about their legal rights.
- Well, lack of affordable housing in Chatham County made the process difficult.
- Most of the families remain in Chatham, but three had to move to Randolph County.
- Residents miss the common culture that was shared at Johnson’s Mobile Home Park — former resident Natalia Franco-Lopez said she feels alone in her new home. “Our neighbors don’t speak Spanish and we don’t speak English.”
Have more questions about affordable housing in Chatham County? We base our journalism on reader questions, so send them our way if you would like to inspire further reporting!
Public meetings to watch…
- On Monday, April 15, the Chatham County Board of Commissioners meeting will bring further discussion over the Confederate statue in front of the Historic Courthouse in Pittsboro. The meeting, with a rather lengthy agenda, will be at 6 p.m. at the Chatham County Agricultural Center. Keep an eye out for our live coverage.
What’s on our radar…
- The logistics of Chatham Park’s tree protection plan is still up for debate. Check out our notes on this week’s Pittsboro Board of Commissioners meeting for the latest developments.
We want to know what you like and/or dislike about this newsletter. Is there anything you wish we would add to the newsletter? Let us know by shooting an email our way at email@example.com.
This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this? unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences
Reese News Lab · 11 Carroll Hall · Campus Box 3365 · Chapel Hill, NC 27599-0001 · USA