Hello, Chathamites. Happy Thursday.
Hurricane Florence is on her way to Chatham County. She’s set to make landfall in NC today, with Chatham and the surrounding Triangle area likely to feel her wrath.
Image sourced from National Weather Service. Click image for latest updates.
While the force of the storm will diminish as it moves further inland, Chatham is preparing for rain with the possibility of flash flooding, tropical storm force winds, heavy rain, falling trees, and power outages going into the weekend. A state of emergency has been declared by Chatham County Commissioner Chair Diana Hales effective through Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 5 p.m.
Image sourced from CNN
Check out our list of handy resources as you prepare to weather the storm.
It would be a good idea to print these pages to have them handy in case your home loses electricity or wifi in the coming days.
- Check here for updates on road closures throughout the storm.
- Sign up for Alert Chatham to receive text, phone call, or email notifications with updates from Chatham County Emergency Management.
- Here are the county’s recommendations on how to prepare for the storm in English and in Spanish.
These two shelters will at open on Thursday at 7 p.m.
Northwood High School: 310 Northwood High School Rd, Pittsboro, NC 27312. This is the only shelter that will care for pets with kennel space available on a first come, first served basis. Call 919-545-8162 ahead of time to check if space is available for pets.
Chatham Middle School: 2025 S 2nd Avenue Ext, Siler City, NC 27344
- Check here to see cancellations and new dates for court sessions, government-sponsored events, and committee and board meetings.
- The Chatham County Board of Commissioners meeting slated for September 17 has been rescheduled to September 24 at 6 p.m.
- As of now, all government offices will still be open Thursday.
- The Chatham County Animal Shelter is closed, and will not reopen until after the hurricane.
Be smart and stay safe out there!
Copyright © 2018 Reese News Lab, All rights reserved.